Monday, September 7, 2015

9-7-15

This morning as we studied, some Jehova Witnesses knocked on our door. I opened up the door and started talking to them in english. they got real scared and took off. hahaha.

we are currently teaching the governor and mayor of our little town out here. its wild.

"and it came to pass that when they were buried in the deep there was no water that could hurt them, therefore when they were encompassed about by many waters they did cry unto the Lord, and he did bring them forth again upon the top of the waters. and it came to pass that the wind did never cease to blow towards the promised land." ether 6.7 and 8

I know that challenges are here for a reason. that when we are covered with them, like the waters, we can cry unto the Lord. He will send to us tender mercies. In the end, the wind, our trials, are for our good and will send us to our promised land.

This has been a challenging weekof my mission. Ive learned much. A thought occured to me the other night as we walked around, searching for more people to teach under the very starry sky and the snow capped mountains(dream). In my last area, we strived to have great numbers and achieve many baptisms. That is a great thing to have, and we accomplished much. I feel the Lord has sent me to a very remote, different area to realize, that that is not all that matters. What matters is what happens after this life. How can we impact people for the eternity? We will see the people whom we have loved, in the mission or in life in general, whether they be members or nonmembers, people who we have taught, or people who have rejected and hated us. There is still so muuch hope for these people, other chances to accept, change, and live the gospel. I cant wait to see these people perhaps in the Spirit World. Id imagine theyd say something like "thanks for trying when you were a missionary, even if you didnt see me get baptized, you still helped in my conversion." or maybe, "im sorry I rejected you and your companion at first. but the testimony you bore at my door, I remember perfectly here in the spirit world. it helped me make the decision to accept the baptism one of my descendants did for me." and then i would say, "thank you for enriching and blessing my life, because of your mark on it, Im eternally happy and blessed." Ilove this thought, because it shows to me out here that we are working for eternity, not just the now. We will see these people again. How lovely.

the gospel is the best. we are seeing a little progress here and there, and I enjoy watching it. We recently had the opportunity to visit a 75 year old man. His name is Antogenes. He has only been a member for 3 years here, and has become very ill and is dying. we take the sacrament to him each week. He can hardly walk, but somehow he always makes it downstairs just to wait for us to come with his bread and water. You should see him partake of these ordinances. it is sacred to him, as it should be for all of us. He has impacted me forever. we talk a little bit of spanish and then I try my hand at speaking quechua with him. we laughed and laughed. He is a great man. 

I miss you all as always. keep sending me emails por favor they brighten up my week. con mucho amor a todos ustedes. kuidakoyanki. thats quechua for cya later. hahaha. 

elder Caldwell


No comments:

Post a Comment